Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Things I Like: Unpredictable Weather

I like unpredictable weather.

Don't get me wrong, I don't always enjoy surprise changes in temperature and precipitation (I also like the word precipitation. It's fun to say. But that's a whole other Tuesday) and I have been known to complain when I only have a jacket and ballet flats, instead of the more appropriate wool coat and boots, as I walk through snow flurries, or when I wear a sweater and it turns out to be 65 degrees that day. In fact, I became genuinely angry two weeks ago when the roads went from perfectly clear to treacherous in a matter of minutes.

However, deep down, I like it. I like that I live in Tennessee, where I've seen snow in April and my cousins once wore shorts on Christmas. I also like, that no matter how much technology and knowledge they have, the meteorologists are still sometimes wrong.

I'm not sure why I like for the weather to be unpredictable.
Maybe it's a little bit of pride in where I live. Tennessee is known for the unpredictable weather we have (At least, Tennesseeans act as if our weather is tons more unpredictable than other places'. It probably isn't.) and I'm mostly proud to be a Tennesseean.
Maybe it's because I've come to really enjoy unpredictability (which I think camp did to me) and I find the whole thing a little funny. I always love a good story, and being trapped in a sudden downpour makes for a good story.
Maybe because I think weather is God's way of showing us he's still in control. Sometimes I picture him looking at the meteorologists' predictions and thinking, "Let's have a little fun with this." In all likelihood, God does not think that way, but he is in charge and often unpredictable and weather shows off those traits perfectly and powerfully.

[P.S. Two Things I Like Tuesdays back-to-back is not cool. I'll try not to make that happen again.]

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Heh...I think residents of every temperate climate zone on earth think their weather is the most unpredictable. I've had this little conversation numerous times in numerous places:

"Man, this weather is crazy."

"Yea? Wait [insert arbitrary, but small amount of time here]. It'll change."

Isn't that the definition of weather? I mean...would we even have a word for "weather" if everything was always the same? If it DIDN't change, we wouldn't even think about it...kind of like how we don't ask things like, "Well how's the gravity today? Do I need to wear my heavy boots today? I'd hate to feel floaty all day again."

Annyway, I'll stop now, since I've just realized that I've chased a tangent (change in weather verses unpredictable change in weather).

I like weather also.