Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Two things I love about where I live (specifically)

I was trying to think about what to write next. I was debating about what should follow up a post about a dictionary, a post about punctuation, and a self-reflection post. Then I remembered, my blog is about nothing and everything. No rules. So, without further ado, two things I love about where I live (specifically).

I live on Falkner Lane.

[I will pause here, because I realize some of you are panicking because I just shared my actual. street. name. with. the. internet. Calm down. Google already knows (please read that phrase again, but this time picture some creepy, pale girl with long, dark hair and wide eyes saying it v e r y s l o w l y. It's more fun that way.). They do. We have no private lives anymore and, the way I see it, you can embrace it, or become Amish. There is no other choice. Okay, un-pause]

I love that I live on Falkner Lane because it is sometimes spelled Faulkner Lane. And by sometimes, I don't mean that people spell it wrong when they address envelopes; I mean that the actual street signs spell it differently sometimes. There are three Falkner Lane street signs, and when I first moved here, two of them were spelled Falkner and one was spelled Faulkner. I thought it was funny and briefly wondered how I would ever learn my address. Then, a few months later, they changed all the signs to Falkner Lane.
When MapQuest became popular a few years later, we quickly learned that, according to the internet, Falkner Lane did not exist, but Faulkner Lane does. So, I began spelling it that way. Then the street signs followed suit. For about a year. Then, they all changed to Falkner Lane. Again.
Here's what I think happened. The street was named after some local guy named Falkner. However, every so often some new guy comes along and thinks we've misspelled Faulkner, as in William, as in the "great" southern writer. So, they "fix" it. The real Falkner's family drives by, gets upset, tells some important government person, and the signs are fixed again.


Also,

Recently, they demolished this house down the street from me. It was really old and falling apart, so when it was sold, the house was demolished. Behind the house, though, was an incredible tree house. It wasn't really something-you'd-see-on-TV incredible, but more like some-kids-are-super-proud-of-this-thing incredible. It has several levels and is huge in homemade-treehouse terms.
And they left it there.
The house is gone, only a concrete slab, but the treehouse remains.
I think there's something very poetic about that. And someday, maybe, I can do it justice poem-wise.

So, there you have it, two things I love about where I live (specifically):
A street with two names and a lone treehouse.

No comments: