Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What about a falafel?

The following conversation happened at work the other day:

C: Do you like euros?
H: Euros?
C: Yeah, do you like euros?
H: Sure, I like European currency.
C: No, euros.
There's a pause as we all look to C for clarification. He provides none.
E: Oh, gearos!
J: Oh, guyros!
H: Heh, I've always called them jeeros.
C: They're euros, man.
H: I don't know, I've never tried one.
C: I think you'd like it.

In case you couldn't tell, the food in question was a gyro.

I'm unsure if this pronunciation problem is limited to the southern U. S., but I can say that almost everyone I've run into has heard from someone who "actually lived in Greece" that the way they pronounce it is, in fact, the right way. Even if the other pronunciation in question was also said to be the correct way, by someone who "actually is Greek."

Which leads me to wonder: urban legend, or are the Greeks playing an elaborate prank on us?

1 comment:

Daniel said...

I've also heard it pronounced "hero".

I think the Grecian prank theory is pretty solid.