Thursday, October 21, 2010

I found the Church in Eastern Kentucky

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. [...] For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--Jews or Greeks, slaves or free--and all were made to drink of one Spirit. For the body does not consist of one member but of many. [...] The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you." 1 Corinthians 12: 4-6, 12-13, 21
     Recently, I went on a mission trip to Leslie County, Kentucky with a group from my church. Leslie County is one of the poorest counties in the country, located in the Appalachian Mountains. 
     We talked a lot about the fact that often on mission trips, it is easy to slip into a sort of savior-complex. We often subconsciously, if not consciously, think "I'm going on this mission trip because these poor people need my help." I realized that isn't true. The truth is, they do need God, but not us. And certainly, he can reveal himself without our help. Thankfully, we are sometimes allowed to be a part.
     The first day we were there, we helped with food distribution. I put my camp WalMart-run skills to use by running through WalMart as if on Supermarket Sweep to get fill a few carts full of food (because of a mix up, we had run out). Once the WalMart van got back, I helped people get food and take it to their vehicles. Two of the ladies I spoke with told me about their ministries. They didn't use the word "ministry," but that's what they were doing. They told me of their hearts for children and elderly folks and explained to me what they did to make a difference in the lives of those they know.
     The next day we went to a small church service. Half of our team nearly outnumbered the members present, but I saw from their calendar that low numbers did not limit their caring for the community around them. They had several listings for Angel Food distribution, among a few other community-wide events.
     We went to a "holler" to love on some kids that afternoon. We got to see these rough-and-tumble kids joyfully greet the Big Creek Missions (the organization we worked with) staff who love on them year-round. They loved us automatically because the Big Creek staff brought us and the Big Creek staff loved them.
     Monday, we went to an adult daycare center to play games with the residents. Our youngest team members, Lillie Cate (3) and Nora Blake (2) enjoyed the activities as much as the residents and showed them Jesus by not realizing the differences between themselves and those at the center.
     Later, we worked at a clothing distribution center helping out a lady named Drucie. Let me tell you, Drucie was a big surprise. She retired from being a hairdresser, but read Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper and determined not to waste her retirement. She took over the clothing distribution center and began taking mission trips to Haiti. Her goal is to open up a soup kitchen and an orphanage in Haiti and I believe she'll do it. She sat and talked with us for a while before the center opened. She is extremely well-read--she discussed both Piper and R. C. Sproul with us. At one point she said some people wait around for a calling, but "it's not a calling; it's a command!" Love it.
     During all of this, I was a part of a team that included preschoolers through grandparents. There were people from all stages and walks of life, serving alongside each other. I should also mention that during the days, half of our team did construction work, while the other half did the activities described above. I love that God used both ability and availability in our team. Some people were able to use the skills and gifts they already had, while others learned new things as they simply made themselves available for God's work.
     So, while God graciously allowed me to be a part of the work he's doing in Appalachia, I became very aware that I was far from being needed
     This mission trip showed me the Church. Young and older, across cultures, serving side-by-side to show God's love to those who need it.

No comments: