Sunday, March 28, 2010

Halloween Candy, or When I Am Inspired

When I was little, I would save my Halloween candy. I would have a few pieces on Halloween night, and then maybe one a day the following week. After that, I would save it. I mean, I had a few pieces here and there, but most of the candy remained until the next Halloween. I was trying to be frugal. The problem with saving up Halloween candy is that eventually it goes bad. The chocolate turns kind of white-ish and the taffy and skittles get so stale you fear breaking a tooth while chewing them. The candy is wasted.

[There are probably a million and one kids' sermon illustrations that could use that story. I know, I worked camp, and could turn that little anecdote into the plan of salvation in no time. But, I'm not going to do that here. Feel free to use it if you need a good lead-in sometime.]

I tend to waste inspiration the same way. Sometimes, I feel as if I am overly inspired. I just have so many great things that could lead to amazing writing, but I don't want to write it all at once. I want to ration it out, like my Halloween candy. The problem is, like candy, inspiration eventually gets stale. It just isn't the same after a little while.

Lately, I've read a lot of great articles, interviews, and blogs, I've had some rich conversations with other dreamers, I've listened to music by artists who are, truly, artists, and even looked at some visual art. I know, soaking in the culture. The point is, after observing, or participating in, each of these art forms, I have been inspired to write. That's what I do. That's who I am. But have I written? Not really.

Well, this time, I am not going to let it go stale. I will be writing it down before the rich, chocolaty (Yeah, that's how you spell it. I looked it up.) parts turn old and...white-ish (I admit, that metaphor ran out before I wanted it to, but I'm leaving it).

I guess I just thought you should know that, since you read my writing. And I can't think of any way to end this post besides something cheesy like "Check back for the inspiring stuff" and I am not a fan of cheesiness.

No comments: