Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Things I Like: Watching American Idol with my Grandmother

[See, Jennifer, I didn't completely abandon this series]

I watch American Idol with my Grandmother every Tuesday, and most Wednesday, nights. Mainly, I like watching the show with her because she provides excellent commentary.

Half the time, I have to remind her the show is on, and coach her to the right channel. But don't think that just because she doesn't know the time or the place, she isn't a passionate viewer. She states her opinion as fact and states it often--"You don't do that to a Patsy song. Oh, no. She can't do that to that song. Ugh." She disagrees with the judges with the same certainty--"I don't know why they said that. It was a great performance. They are just crazy."

Another thing I love is that she doesn't know anyone's name. We have to describe all the contestants, instead of referring to them by name--"the dreadlocks girl", "the one that played the piano", "the little guy." Just a few minutes ago she said, "I just love that little girl. I have no idea what she's called."

My favorite moment, though, is when she and my great-aunt were discussing the show. Neither of them knew anyone's name, which made it much more fun for the rest of us.
Great-Aunt: "What's that male-female woman's name?"
Me: "Ellen."
Great-Aunt: "She has a beautiful girlfriend."
Grandmother: "Yeah, she does. And what's that little runt that talks all the time?"
Me: "Ryan Seacrest?"
Grandmother: "Yes. He just thinks he's something. He got in Simon's face last week. Woohee! I couldn't believe it."

So great.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whoop whoop! Who got a shout out in Elizabeth's blog?! I did, I did! I think you need to set up a hidden camera for these conversations. They just might be classic Youtube videos!