Wednesday, November 24, 2010

thankful

I am thankful for many things each day of the year, but since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, a day dedicated to eating tons of food before shopping with 1,000 other people at your local Target, I thought I'd list out a few things I am thankful for this year specifically. For the purpose of this list, I am leaving out the more usual suspects, though that in no way means I am less thankful for them. I just feel that they deserve more than just a bullet point on this list on my blog. Maybe someday I'll do a post for each of those important things..
Anyway, back to the list of Ten Things I Am Specifically Thankful for in 2010 (and Possibly Was Not Thankful for in Previous Years):
  1. A job that provides me with endless amounts of Twitter material. And it's mostly fun. And I actually use my degree (who even knew that was possible?). And, hello! it's a job. I didn't have one of those at this point last year. (not to mention it's at a church, which means so much in terms of coworkers and purpose.)
  2. Pandora. Free music that is catered to my taste all day? (and only $.99 when I run over 40 hours in the month?) Yes, please. And thank you.
  3. My refillable coffee cup from Thornton's, along with their lovely selection of flavorings, creamers, and cappuccinos. I bought it for $1.99. Now every refill is $.69, and they don't care if half of my cup is filled with half-and-half. Every 5th one is free. Sorry, Starbucks (I still love you for the tea!).
  4. Free Rent. I sometimes complain about living at home, but if I couldn't do that, I'd probably have to live in a bad neighborhood, or be in debt. Going back to school would have meant having to take out a loan.
  5. Nashville. I love this city. I am so glad that my free rent is near such a place.
  6. My car. Sure, it had a moment this weekend, and it has a few other small quirks, but it is newer than my old one. It has AC, too, which is nice. And fewer dents.
  7. Twitter. Seriously, I have found out about concerts, music videos, blogs, coupons, free music, etc. through this social media outlet. Plus, it's entertaining.
  8. Lamps for my office. Not having the fluorescent overhead lighting on has increased my productivity amazingly. They also have the added bonus of making the gray concrete block (they are actually painted gray...) walls look somewhat cozy.
  9. School. While it is awful to have to do so much homework/read/watch lectures, at least it's fascinating stuff. It's good to at least have some general plan for my life, too. Even if that plan is extremely vague and flexible.
  10. My iphone. Having twitter, facebook, the Bible, Spider Solitaire, a Dictionary/Thesaurus, email, voice memos, pandora (see #2), a camera, an ipod, the internet, google maps all handy is just worth it.
So, there you have it. Kind of unusual, but very true. I am thankful for all of those things.

What random thing(s) are you thankful for this year?

No comments: