Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Things I Like Tuesday: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Seeing the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade live is not just on my bucket list, it's on my next-year-for-real-this-time list.
I have watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on Thanksgiving morning for many, many years. It's a tradition. Really, it's the one Thanksgiving tradition in my family that has endured for so long. We change meal times, menus, and locations, but I always watch the parade. While I'm really the only one to consistently watch the parade from the ribbon-cutting all the way to end, my dad and sister usually join in for at least a little while. I have told my mother, as she toils in the kitchen while I relax on the couch, that when I'm in charge of the cooking, we'll have to move the meal to a later time. I'll have to watch the parade first.

Why I like the parade so much, I'm not really sure. It is amazing, though...

The floats, the balloons, the bands, the Broadway performances, Harold Square, Al Roker, the Rockettes, the celebrity guests, the tradition, the excitement...
oh, and this guy:
This guy officially marks the beginning of the Christmas season. And as soon as he makes an appearance, usually around 11am Thanksgiving Day, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

No comments: