Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Things I Like Tuesday: Clementine Oranges


From Wikipedia:
A clementine is a hesperidium, of a variety of mandarin orange (Citrus reticulata) so named in 1902.

The traditional story is that it was "originally an accidental hybrid said to have been discovered by Father Clément Rodier in the garden of his orphanage in Misserghin, Algeria."

But it might have originated in China much earlier.

Here's why I like Clementines:

1. They're sweet.

2. I don't notice the pulp. I don't like pulp. At all. So, I usually don't like oranges. I know Clementines have pulp, but I don't notice it.

3. I really like peeling oranges of any kind. Even though I don't eat most oranges, I'll still peel it for you to eat. It's always my goal to get the entire peel off in one piece. Clementines are known for peeling easily, so that's a bonus.
Peel Success!

4. They're just darling. (Oh, my darling Clementine! I had to.) Small and cute.

5. They remind me of England. I lived with a bunch of Californians. I think they thought the oranges were a substitute for the sunlight they were missing. I don't know. All I knew was that Clementines were delicious and cheap (cheaper than they are here, oddly enough). We were constantly eating them.

6. They smell delicious. My office has consistently smelled like oranges since last week. Mmm.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I LOVE Clementines, and I do the same thing... it's always a competition with myself to see if I can unpeal it in one piece! :)