Monday, January 24, 2011

why I tweet

I signed up for a twitter account for two reasons:
1) I had heard it was the new thing to do and I didn't want to be left behind, technology-wise.
2) I wanted to stalk celebrities and semi-celebrities (authors, singers, bloggers).

Once on twitter, I found it to be fun. I got a bunch of free music, found out about concerts and blogs and fun events. I follow friends and people who would never actually friend me on facebook. It's both fun and challenging to come up with witty and interesting things to say in 140 characters or less.

I definitely understand that it is a little narcissistic. I can't really argue against that. But, I think it is more than that. Also, no one I follow tweets about what they're eating for lunch, unless they're eating something interesting or especially delicious. It's really more of a way to share things--funny things, thoughtful things, challenging things, interesting things.

For a little while, my people-pleasing-ness did take over. I began to rate my sense of humor/how interesting I was on how many people "liked" or commented on my tweet once it hit facebook. So, I decided to delete my tweets from facebook. That didn't work...at first. [It was insane how much that twitter app clung to my facebook account.] But, just being aware changed my attitude about it a little. I finally did delete that stubborn app today. Twitter is less acknowledging, so I send out a tweet not really expecting a cyber high-five. Somehow, this keeps it in perspective for me. If someone replies or retweets, great. If not, I didn't expect it.

As far as the point Brett made about constantly thinking of your next tweet, it is somewhat true. But, to be honest, I did that anyway. I am constantly crafting stories and sentences and phrases in my head. Twitter just makes me try to craft it in 140 characters or less. If I fail at that, I blog it. Or say it outloud during a conversation. Or text it to someone.

So, why do I tweet?
It's fun.
I get free stuff and helpful information.
Also, I hear it's good for writer-y stuff.

[A funny gmail chat conversation with Mary while attempting to disconnect my twitter account from facebook:
Me: I wish my twitter wasn't connected to my facebook
Mary: delete immediately (Mary deletes all her twitter updates from facebook the moment they go through.)
Me: too risky
Me: I may have disconnected it! Lemme test it out...
(I tweet: "I love Sundays." Immediately, it shows up on facebook.)
Me: crap.
Mary: That just made my day HAHAHA
Mary: I just wish it had been something a little more racy]

No comments: